Household Dust Poses More Problems than You May Realize
Dust itself is toxic since it contains particles from any air pollutants, pet dander, fungal spores, hair and skin, and furniture made of particleboard etc. There is no way of avoiding dust. It can cause respiratory issues and aggravate allergies.
When I began our journey into removing toxins from our home I read every label and looked everything up on the EWG guide to find less toxic choices. Unfortunately, in this instance there didn’t seem to be one! Adding a toxic spray to “get rid” of toxic dust seemed counterproductive. Dusting wands and Swiffer dusters also scored a D or an F. Pledge Dust & Allergen dry cloths? They score a D. Most contain ingredients “suspected of causing cancer” as well as toxic fragrances in mineral oils.
What’s the solution? Vacuuming frequently, leaving your shoes at the door, and investing in a HEPA filter will help cut down on the amount of dust created.
Getting rid of the dust that will inevitably exist is actually easier and cheaper than you may think! I have been using this recipe for quite a long time and I believe it works better than any spray I have used in the past.
1 Cup olive oil
¼ cup white vinegar
5 drops of lemon essential oil
Or arborvitae essential oil (I actually use both)
Combine in a stainless steel or glass spray bottle (lemon essential oil is not compatible with plastic bottles)
When ready to use spray ON CLOTH (microfiber or a strong paper towel) and wipe.